Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tuesday: So many things

Thing 1: Batman

I saw this post yesterday, but my Batman was at the office:
I specifically requested Batman looking through a telescope.
Thing 2: Fucking passwords

Maybe other people don't have this problem, but I have passwords on my work computer, and I have passwords on my laptop, and I can never remember which password is the correct one for any given webpage.  So, I decided today to just fucking punch remembering passwords in the face:

alias i_forgot 'cp ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Login\ Data /tmp && echo "select origin_url,username_value,password_value from logins;" | sqlite3 /tmp/Login\ Data'

No new lines obviously.  This copies your chrome password database to /tmp (necessary because an active chrome process puts a lock on the database).  Then, it pulls the url, username, and password for all saved passwords out of the database so you can figure out what it is.

"Oh, that's horribly insecure."  Yep.  But if they're saved in plaintext, there's not much you can do.  I think older versions had them in base64 encoding, but that's effectively plaintext.  In any case, I don't care, and now I can get them with just a quick grep.

Thing 3: Complicated problems

 I sat down to work on a problem at work, and after checking that it's not an issue with the statistic we're using being badly calculated, and checking that it's not an issue with bad quantization, I think I've come to the conclusion that the reason X != A - b is that at no place in the code do we actually subtract b from A.  This led to the creation of a directory named "wtf_really", because that was pretty much my only possible reaction.

Thing 4: I have some other pictures, but I'm going to ration them since I always run out

Dog seance.

Thing 5: links


  • Next Miyazaki film.
  • The other side of this NSA thing that everyone forgets about:  people are basically lazy and incompetent dumbasses.  Case in point: this whole NSA thing.  We have people who are more interested in finding out what their ex-es are doing than tracking down that you bought Marx from amazon.  Everyone thinks it's some grand conspiracy pulling the strings.  Imagine the people you work with.  Now imagine them trying to construct a grand conspiracy.  Are you afraid of that?
  • LOL.
  • I wish this had a transcript, but it sounds like another reason Assange is a dick.
  • This tweet, then this tweet, then this response that has the solution I came up with as well.


Thing 6: Thoughts on labels

I think I need a "stupid math" as well as a "math is hard".  The first would be for things like today, and the second for actual interesting math.  Similarly, a "useful shell crap" that I just dump into "technology".  This is probably an extension of me splitting "my real work notebook" out of "crayon theater", since it's not in crayon.  Then again, I routinely dump generic comic book stuff into "Batman".

No comments:

Post a Comment