Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tuesday: Work, A/C, continuing complaints

Even working from home in the late afternoon wasn't as productive as it should have been.  Part of the problem is that the office is fine until about 1-2PM.  Then the sun starts shining on my office, and the temperature just starts shooting up.  I think that if I don't get out of the heat before it gets too bad, my productivity stays depressed.  

My original parameterization was P = P0 / (T - T0), with T0 being about 70 degrees.  It was pointed out that this creates a singularity in the productivity curve.  So, let's go with a even polynomial instead, P = P0 * (T - T0)^2.  We now need to account for the time evolution, and that's almost certainly a decaying exponential.  So, let's say P = P0 * (T - T0)^2 * (1 + H(T - T_thresh) * exp(-k t )), where we use the Heaviside function to trigger this time evolution.  I'm not totally happy about this solution, as it really should be determined in a differential equation form.  Basically, the evolution is not cleanly in temperature or time only, and so I should have written the differential equations that explicitly do this.  I'm not going to do that now.
Math sleeps create punch sleeps.
I also discovered that a bug in some data comparison that was giving me like 100% errors is actually caused by my code being far better than the previous analysis and deblending things that weren't deblended before.  This means that things with flux A in the old analysis are now two things in the new analysis with flux A/2.  So I need to fix it in post, apparently.
"Hold still, I think I see a way out!"


No comments:

Post a Comment