Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday: Cooking all day

The goal for today was to convert leftover turkey into soup.  No real recipe for this.

The start was an onion, two carrots, and about two stalks of celery (and a gob of butter to saute in).  That dark spot in the middle of the pan is the remaining two anchovy filets.  I added them in the hope of boosting the flavor.
Once the vegetables were done and the anchovy obliterated, I added two boxes of chicken stock and the turkey.  I went with a turkey-heavy strategy, included both wings, a thigh/leg combo, another leg, and the chunk of breast I was eating for lunch last week.  You can also see the three parmesan rinds I tossed in.  I'm not sure how much they helped, since they're also mystery flavor boosters.
That simmered for about two hours, at which point the turkey had fallen apart, and I could fish out the bits and remove the bones.  Also those stupid needle bone/cartilage things in the legs.  I also shredded the meat into bite size pieces.
To finish things, I added some rosemary and sage (whole, in a bouquet garni idea), salt and pepper, and some sherry.  I let it go another half hour or so, during which time I boiled some egg noodles.  Plating:
Bowl of turkey soup, a couple slices of speck, a hunk of rye with some brie spread on top.  This solved the "haven't eaten anything all day" problem perfectly.  One issue that came up is that the soup separates a lot.  The top is bland and watery, with the flavor increasing towards the bottom.  I'm sure canned soup has lots of chemicals to fix this problem, but I just went with the "stir it before you take a bite."

I have enough soup that I have a pretty good idea what I'm eating for dinners this week.  I'll probably have to get more bread at some point, though.

Random picture time:
Asymmetrical corgi.
I like Self-Esteem Bear.
  • Julie sent it around earlier, but I really like the sad cookie from this entry.
  • It would be nice if people actually knew that they were dumb.  Like the 8% of people who feel "very unfavorable" about "Require easy-to-understand plan summaries." WTF is wrong with those people?  They want insurance plans to be more confusing?
  • Oh the past. You were so delightfully racist. a) Did anyone actually know a southern colonel? b) Why do you need to keep pointing out that pancakes are "digestible?" Did people eat rocks and things back then, and had to be reminded to eat real food? c) I like pancakes as much as anybody, but I don't think that they're really the correct solution to all food problems. d) I'm super full, and still kind of want to eat some pancakes.
  • Steampunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment