Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday: A Brilliant Idea

I came up with this idea a couple days ago, based on a burger I remember having at the BW3 in East Lansing.   Conveniently, I picked up a package of paniolo ground beef at the farmer's market last week:


I had planned on portioning it myself, but I felt lazy, and they'd already packaged it in convenient patty form. Let's look at the cross section:


So the layers are:
  1. Top bun
  2. Two slices of that super lean bacon I got last weekend. It was so lean, that after frying four slices, I had to get more bacon grease from the bowl in the fridge to have enough oil to cook:
  3. Some nicely grilled red onions. I believe the original BW3 sammich had fried onion straws, but I'm not going to bother breading and frying my onions.
  4. Tillamook cheddar as a break
  5. The last of my Fourth of July pulled pork.
  6. The North Shore Cattle Company burger.
  7. Some BBQ sauce
  8. A sorely overmatched bottom bun that really had no chance to survive against the juicy meat.  It was soggy even before I cut the burger in half.
Delicious is an understatement, although there's not really anyway a burger with this much tasty stuff on it could possibly go wrong.  I don't quite believe that this was really 90% lean, since the burger put out way more fat than the bacon. Still, juicy fat is where the flavor monkeys live, so it's not really a big problem.

I'm a bit disappointed that the NSCC people don't have a wider selection of meat available, but I think they sell most of the not-ground beef to restaurants. And now, looking at their webpage to get the link above shows me that I can order what I want from them, and have them bring it with them to the farmer's market for no delivery cost. That's wonderful.

The plan is to hit the farmer's market again tomorrow, possibly getting there a bit earlier to avoid the rush.  They will apparently have mushrooms, so I'll have to think of things to do with those.

No comments:

Post a Comment