Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saturday: farmer's market


I finally got up early enough on a Saturday to head to the KCC farmer's market, with only moderate prompting via the internet.  It's a nice big market, although it doesn't really have a good flow, so it kind of gets jammed up with all the strollers and dogs (despite the no pets allowed signs).  There are a lot of tents selling prepared food, which tends to hurt the flow as well.  Food doesn't magically make itself, so there are lots of people queuing up to order and get what they ordered. They don't seem to bother to get out of the way of other people though.  I think this is a good reason for me to try to wake up earlier.  Another reason would be to get lilikoi from the lilikoi girl. She was sold out by the time I got there.

My eventual purchases were: corn on the cob ($2.50 /6. all corn is sold with the ends cut off here. I don't like that.), baby romaine ($4.50/2 heads), Oahu grown ground beef ($6.50/lb), passion fruit hot pepper jam ($8/jar), and Meyer lemons ($1.50/2). I plan on eating the corn with the pulled pork I'm going to make tomorrow.  The jam is for the pork as well, as I wanted a sweet and spicy jam to put on the sandwiches.  I was hoping the Oahu beef would be in cuts, but ground beef is good as well.  I will admit that I bought the lemons solely so I could ask about the lilikoi.  I have no plan for them at all.



The romaine looked amazing, so I used it to make a big salad for dinner.  I'm not sure it comes through in the photo, but this lettuce goes from normal lettuce green at the root end to nearly christmas tree dark green at the tips. I had a local tomato in the fridge from last weekend (it's a whole foods tomato. I probably should have picked up some market tomatoes too, but I didn't like the handful I saw today.), so I sliced that up as well.  I topped it with a quick drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a quicker drizzle of olive oil, then added some fresh pepper and some sea salt to bring out the tomato flavor a bit more.  Finally was the Parmesan, and what was basically a chiffonade of prosciutto to add some balance.

I think next time, I might skip the prosciutto, and add something else instead.  The thought I just had was that a bit of quickly pan fried calamari hood might be a good addition. I assume that's easy to find around here somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment