Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday: too much pain to roast a chicken


Since I didn't roast a chicken, I cheated and made another salad like yesterday (local lettuce/mushroom/heirloom tomato/salami slices/parmesan).  Pretty much identical ingredients, although I went with roasted garlic on the (way too over-toasted) bread.  I went with a slightly more complicated dressing tonight. I didn't measure anything, so I've just kind of guessed at how much I put in:
  • 1.5 tbs olive oil
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (halfway through I thought maybe I should have used balsamic, but this added an extra fruity kick that I think helped a lot)
  • 1 tsp tomato paste from a tube
  • 2 cloves roasted garlic, smooshed up with any solid bits removed
  • 1/2 loop slice of red onion, minced
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes to add a spicy kick
  • salt/pepper 

The idea was to use the tomato paste as an emulsifier to get the oil and vinegar to mix up somewhat.  That was reasonably effective, and adding the garlic paste did the same thing.  It probably would have been better to let it sit for a bit to mix, but I was hungry.  It had a nice balance between the sweetness of the tomato paste, the tartness of the vinegar, and the spicy of the pepper flakes on top of a nice base of roasty garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment