Saturday, July 9, 2011

Saturday: Operation Crusty Bread

Another successful week of getting up and going to the farmer's market. I didn't take any pictures this week, mostly because I simply forgot.  This week was baby romaine ($4.50), two local tomatoes ($3), rosemary ($2.50), and a bag of local mushrooms ($6).  I then picked up a couple heirloom tomatoes at WF (the local heirlooms at the farmer's market were only being sold in bags of six or eight.), as well as a chicken to roast tomorrow for dinner.  I did get tricked by the girl at the deli who got me to buy some salami by offering me a sample and having it be super delicious.  I had planned on getting prosciutto, but salami fills pretty much the same segment of the cured meats world.

When it came time for dinner, I decided that I needed some crusty bread to go with the salad for dinner. I've walked past the bakery near work a number of times, but have never stopped in.  I picked up a nice sourdough loaf, and figure I can use it to make french toast tomorrow morning.



So the salad was basically what I bought today: I shook the romaine and a bit of my never-ending red onion in a quick apple cider vinaigrette, then sliced one of the heirloom tomatoes, one of the baby portabellas, and some of the salami, and then topped with parmesan.  I toasted the crusty bread in the oven while I was making the salad, then topped with softened butter, pepper, a bit of rosemary, and some pink sea salt. Certainly the best idea of the day.

So the updated plan is:

  • Sunday: roast chicken 
  • Monday: leftover roast chicken
  • Tuesday: double leftover roast chicken
  • Wednesday: depending on how big the chicken is, maybe more leftovers
  • Thursday: some sort of seafood. I saw that they do have calamari at WF, so that's the leading contender.
  • Friday: No idea. I'll wing that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment