Saturday, October 14, 2017

Saturday: Procrastinating.

Specifically, in finishing my talk for Monday.  In any case, the plan for the day was to see a movie.  Specifically the one at 2pm.  So I got up at 12:30, and still was too late.
As shown by the intact ticket and ebi fry.
"Why do they have a 2pm and a 3pm showing?  This movie isn't going to be that popular."  Nope, it isn't.  But the 3pm showing has open captions, for people with hearing problems.  Whatever, I do subtitled movies all the time, this is the same thing, but I can read faster than they can talk.

Anyway, Professor Marston and His Wonder Women.  About William Moulton Marston (who invented Wonder Woman), his wife, and the student that came to live with them and had two of his children.  I hadn't heard much about this, other than its existence, so I went in with no expectations.  It's...complicated.  On the good side, it presents all three of them as progressive and modern, and just wanting to live their lives the way they wanted, without problems.  And also invent a major comic book character to pay the bills.  That's fine, but within the first 15-30 minutes, there's a scene where Elizabeth (the wife) and William agree that they should open the relationship to include Olive (the student).  But that's not how it happens in Jill Lapore's book, where William basically says, "this is happening now.  Get ok with it or leave," to Elizabeth.  

When I got home, I did a quick google search, and it turns out Marston's granddaughter isn't super happy with the movie, because they basically made up a lot of the story.  It's not a terrible story that they made up, but you can't really do that about real people.  Like this review says, they really should have mentioned the stuff-making-up part.

And there were only like 12 people in the theater, with an average age of like 70.

Afterwards, I wasn't quite hungry, and I didn't really have a plan, so I ended up driving the long way to Kailua.

And got tacos.
Then I came home, took out the trash, and vacuumed.  Really wasn't into working on this talk.  I at least have the figures sorted out.



No comments:

Post a Comment