Friday, November 23, 2012

Friday: Grumble grumble blogger images grumble grumble

I'm still annoyed by this picasa crap, but it seems that resizing images allows me to upload them.  Still totally a pile of shit that this is required.  In any case, I now have a script that does this resizing semi-automatically:

#! /usr/bin/perl -w                                                                                                    

foreach $image (@ARGV) {
    $out_image = $image;
    $out_image =~ s/\.jpg/_resize\.jpg/;
    unless (-e $out_image) {
        system("convert -resize 50% $image $out_image");
    }
}



Ok, here are yesterday's food pictures.  First up, the ham.  Spiral sliced and fully cooked before I got it.  Yes, that's super lazy.  Still, lazy was kind of the theme for this year.  I made a "rack" out of apples, and added the required water.  Unfortunately, the apples weren't really usable after this, but the ham came out nicely.  I've had this kind of ham before, and they can be super salty.  This one wasn't though, instead having a nice sweet hammy taste.

SS hams are nearly impossible to move after they've been cooked.
Plate picture.  I really like cooking things in ramekins.  Sticking with the lazy concept, I mixed everything directly in storage containers, and just cooked single servings for my meal.  This also saved a lot of time since I didn't have to wait for the casserole and pudding to fully cook.
I kind of wish I had more twice baked potatoes, though.
One problem with cooking this giant ham is that I have like 5 pounds of leftovers.  I have the impression I'm going to be eating ham sandwiches a lot this week.  This leads to the problem that right now I'm kind of hungry, but not for ham.  I'm also thinking that I'll use some of the larger unsliced chunks in a soup soon.  My thought is some sort of potato-ham-cheese soup of some sort.  There seem to be a good variety of recipes to choose from.

This is a 1.8 liter puppy.

I was going to post this yesterday, but had the image problem.  My question: what is up with the Atom?

  • Brad DeLong vs. My Favorite Orange.
  • More comic book complaints: WTF is Lady Shiva thinking?  Who braids their hair around knives?  How does that not just cut her own ass up everytime she moves?
  • Angry Birds: Star Wars: Fighter Pods: Jenga: Death Star. OMGWTFBBQ?  They've been advertising this all day on CN, and it seems like it has at least two too many brands associated with it.
  • Lamb anti-theft boxes.  Which leads to this story from my trip to Belfast: I was waiting for a bus tour to begin, so I looked around to try to find someplace to get something to drink.  I saw this place named "Iceland" which seemed to be a grocery store.  I went inside, only to find that half the lights were turned off.  I found the cold drink case, grabbed a coke, and paid.  It was at that point that I noticed that everyone else was buying nothing but frozen food.  It was immediately the most depressing place I've ever shopped.  Upon returning, my British coworker said something to the effect of "Iceland is an absolute mockery of grocery stores that only stays in business because it sells everything so cheaply."  So yeah.  Anti-theft boxes for lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment