Thursday, November 22, 2012

That doesn't make a damn bit of sense

After playing with various google products, it looks like it's entirely possible I have exceeded the tiny 1GB blogger/picasa image storage limit.  However, here's something that doesn't make any sense to me.


  1. I upload a picture via blogger, which saves the image to picasa.
  2. Blogger then resizes the image to a maximum edge of 1600pixels.
  3. Picasa stores the original image, which if it is larger than 2048pixels on an edge, counts against the limit.
Since I'm uploading through blogger, and blogger sets a size limit on what it can use, why does it save the original larger image to picasa, when saving the resized version only would prevent a blogger user from ever exceeding the picasa storage limit?

Another question: if picasa has this bizarre edge based storage threshold, why isn't there a "make all my images compliant" button I can press?

I really wish google would put a little bit of thought into their older products.  I don't want to use google+ for everything, because it's useless for just about everything.  If I want to talk to one person, I have google chat.  If I want to talk to 2-10 people, I'll email them, because that's what we've been using email for since 1924.  If I want to talk to more than 10 people, it's better to just use a webpage, because then anyone who wants to look can see it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment