Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving: Guest Post from Julie

"It's Thanksgiving and it's a day that is loaded, both in food and origin.  I enjoy the day because I like cooking elaborate meals and watching football and having a four day weekend.  I am extremely cautious about proclaiming that it is the greatest holiday because of the genocide of indigenous people that cannot be disentangled from the day.  While I understand that other people see it as a day of thanks, I don't think that there's anything particularly thankful about small pox blankets. While it seems that I am an ungrateful person, it's quite the opposite, really.  I am grateful; I'm grateful for Colby.  I'm grateful for Ramona and the fact that she really made Colby and me into a family.  I'm grateful for Kimchi and for kimchi, for that matter.  I'm grateful that Colby's brothers live in Austin and help us out with Ramona so I can continue my education.  I'm grateful that I have an education.  I'm grateful for so many things, but I'm grateful for them every day, not just once a year.  And if someone needs a singular day every year in which to express his or her gratitude, I would argue that that person is not very thankful.

"I am also very grateful for friends who let me guest post so as to not inundate all 3 of my blog readers with my angry thoughts on Thanksgiving."

Kimchi is just grateful that it's not Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment