Saturday, January 14, 2012

Saturday: Delicious Success

Last month, I attempted to go get doughnuts.  I was unsuccessful.

Earlier this month, while on the mainland, we went out and got doughnuts.  Unfortunately, this was the day before I flew home, I was kind of sick at the time, and we got doughnuts after eating dinner.  I did not eat any of these doughnuts, and so was again, unsuccessful.

Today, however, I woke up early, went back to sleep for three hours, woke up again, and went out on a mission to find doughnuts, eat them, and post about my glorious success.

If you've ever driven to the airport and seen the building with the whales, it's right across the street.
I just realized I never mentioned the name of this place. It's Regal Bakery, right next to/part of Regal Foods.
Conveniently, the door is circled with a doughnut.
They were open today, and the people inside were super helpful.  It's kind of hard to make decisions when you're confronted with a giant case of doughnuts.  I didn't get one of everything, as they had slightly more than a dozen choices.  The other customer was from Connecticut, and was also glad that someone was making proper doughnuts, as Hawaii generally doesn't.
What's in the box?


From top to bottom, left to right:
  • Maple bacon yeast doughnut.
  • "Mud?" I don't remember what it's called, but it's like chocolate cookie dust on cream frosting on cake doughnut.
  • Cinnamon sugar doughnut.
  • Buttermilk?  "One of those."  I panicked, what can I say.
  • Green tea.  Where else am I going to find one of those?
  • Strawberry.  The doughnut is still regular cake, but see below.  They were sold out of blueberry. :(
  • Powdered sugar.
  • Cinnamon streusel.
  • Coconut.
  • Chocolate frosted chocolate cake.  This one was first to go, and really didn't stand a chance.
  • Almond chocolate.  It was the last in the case, and looked cool.
  • Chocolate sprinkle.
A dozen doughnuts (of various prices) plus a cup of coffee (they didn't have juice, so it was basically the only option) came out to like $15.  "Holy crap, that's super expensive!"  Meh.  It's Hawaii, so you just have to factor in a 50-100% surcharge on everything.

And now, gratuitous pictures of the strawberry doughnut, half eaten, in the sunshine:




 Yeah, that would be cool if I had a fancy camera, but I don't really care.

Powdered sugar doughnuts are messy, although the wind helped blow the mess away.
Pretty much the best thing I can say is "OM NOM NOM!"


On the way home, I stopped at the gas station to get a bottle of juice (I was really looking forward to some OJ).  It turns out that's a staging area for the cops, apparently, as there were two of them just parked doing paperwork or something, waiting to roll out.  My thoughts as I was getting out of the car:

"Oh, cops, I probably don't even need to lock my doors."

"Wait...cops...doughnuts...."

Clicky-lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment