Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday: Bruschetta

Today while working, I remembered Pizza House, and got a craving for the "portobello al forno garlic bread" they served (and still do, it seems).  However, since it'd be dumb to fly for twelve hours to get an appetizer (although I could get a pizza while I'm there, I guess...), I just made something similar myself.

The bread was easy: slice, use brush to paint on oil, toast in the oven for ten minutes at 400, rub with garlic when it's done.  It's the other stuff that took the time.  I figured that I needed to pre-cook the mushrooms (I used crimini instead of getting a whole portobello) to get the moisture out of them.  Once that was done, I added a bit of garlic paste (I'm really lazy with that now), and then added a ball of mozzarella and an equal size chunk of gorgonzola.  Next time I do this, I'll have to change that ratio.  It probably needs closer to 2:1 gorgonzola to mozzarella.  Another thing that didn't work well was that the mozzarella dumped a bunch of liquid, so it was kind of a soupy mess.  Still tasted good, just wasn't the smooth spreadable cheesy mushroom dip.  I baked this in the oven with the bread, as I needed it to be warm.  The tomato sauce wasn't too bad. Chop up tomato, scoop out seeds, chop some cippolini onion, chiffonade basil, dump in bowl with salt, pepper, garlic paste (see?), olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.  I actually made this first so that it could mix and draw the moisture out of the tomato.  It worked really well, and now I'm tempted to do this again for tomorrow's dinner.

Also, apparently I did meatless monday without really trying.


  • Corgis!
  • Stupid NYC gets all the cool stuff.  And now I want super thin cheese fries.
  • I can't tell if this is brilliant or not.  I tend to like my syrup to soak into the sausage, because sweet + salty = delicious.
  • Pasta geometry.
  • Wow.  Just wow.
  • I'm not really going to defend Monsanto, since they're pretty much shitbags all around.  However, I don't really buy the main point of this article.  Presumably all food contains this microRNA, so it really can't be fundamentally bad.  Therefore, claiming that genetically modified food is more dangerous because of microRNA isn't a valid claim, unless there's some evidence that the microRNA created by genetically modified foods is more likely to cause problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment