Thursday, June 14, 2018

Yet another instance where I use my blog as a (publicly accessible) set of notes.


It's useful because then I don't need to google things I've already googled.


  1. The subwoofer I left behind was an "RCA RT2280 subwoofer."  They're available on ebay, and I can probably find them elsewhere if I need to.  Something like $30 with shipping.
  2. The key phrase for having my database servers (and main RSS/DVR code) behind the firewall is to set things up using a "reverse proxy".  This seems to have all the details on how to set those up.  Odds are good this is what we should have been doing with the webapps in Hawaii as well, as then we could have the master server with all the actual "do work" clients defined on that server instead of trying to ensure consistency among user configurations.
  3. I'll probably want to set up https services, and it looks like I can get a free SSL certificate from here.  I think this only covers the basic "your connection is probably fine" level, and not the "this is truly who it claims to be" level.  The nice side of this is that I won't need to worry so much about the RSS passwords being sent in the clear anymore.
  4. If I need to replace my Nexus 7 tablet, the Lenovo Tab 4 8-inch seems to be a reasonably similar replacement.  It's also only like $130, which is a good price point for "cheap alternate media consumption device."
I think that's all the tech stuff I've researched this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment