Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Tuesday: Never update software.

I upgraded everything that seemed reasonable today, and that didn't stop enlightenment from crashing.  So I upgraded X, and now enlightenment won't even start.  Wonderful.  I also love how every other window manager in existence has a default configuration of "be absolutely useless."  Great design decision.

I also discovered after debugging a program all day that that program doesn't even do what I want it to do.  It doesn't matter why it doesn't work if it's never going to generate the model I want.  As far as I can tell, the model that I want has only ever been generated once, ever, and has only been updated through a somewhat opaque process that uses the old model to generate the new one.

In any case, I've wasted two days on that program, and now two evenings on trying to make my laptop work.  Great.  Maybe I should just do a fresh install this weekend.  Not like that's going to be super annoying or anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment