Thursday, July 7, 2016

Thursday: SF MOMA

Today I went to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.  I arrived a half hour before opening, and random luck meant that today is the day that they're open until 9pm.  This was probably a good thing.

In any case, after getting my sticker, and browsing the museum store, the exhibits opened, and I went upstairs to work my way back down.
The first thing I saw was "Predictive Engineering 3", which is a video/camera/whole big thing, so I just took a picture of the placard.  It was pretty cool, but I don't think I want to sign up for the text updates.  If they had email updates, I probably would.
UPDATE: Here's a link to the web version of PE2.
Appropriate placard for next art.
I've never seen anything by Ai Weiwei before.
I was not impressed by his "I took some ancient pots and painted over them."  Seems like kind of a dick move.
There was a typography exhibit.
I took a few other pictures, but I liked this computer one best.
Roy Lichtenstein.
And Wonder Woman.
Andy Warhol.
Who is seriously overrated.
Chuck Close.
This is woven.  It's not painted.

This placard would explain it, if it wasn't impossible to read.  I hope I have a second image.
Then it was lunch time.  I wasn't really impressed with the options, but made a decision and then stood in line to order.  Then someone asked if I'd prefer table service, and followed them to a table (because duh, obviously).  I had wanted to get the sweet potato coconut curry soup.
So I did.
And had thought about the flatbread (which had potato wedges on it?), but that was sold out.  The replacement was duck wings in a garlic and chili oil glaze, with Japanese sweet sauce.
Sure why not.
It was a bit too sweet, and a lot not garlicky enough.  Not bad, though.

"Do you want dessert?"  Fine.  You talked me into it.
Apricot tart.  The bites with the cinnamon on the apricots were best.
Then back to the art.
Placard.

Starry sky.

Jackson Pollack.

Placard.

Colorful.

Let me guess the title.  "Glam Lincoln"?

Oh.  Mines' better.
I wonder if people were dicks to bunnies in the past.
Yep.

Thanks, beginnings of photography.
By this point I'd gotten down to the coffee bar.  It was full of people who were willing to wait forever for coffee.  Those people are crazy.  There was also a couple who were confused and seemed to think that you could get coffee faster by searching for it down someone else's throat.  Those people needed to get a room.
I got an organic cider and a gluten free peanut butter cookie.  Gluten makes cookies better.

Just in case you don't click through for the title: "Plantation Overseer, Mississippi Delta, near Clarksdale Mississippi."  Alternate title, "Could You At Least Fucking Try Not Be So Fucking Racist, I Mean Fucking Christ."

Mondrian.

I just liked this.  It has nice Art Deco like styling.

Associated placard.

It may just be that this is a generic surrealist, and I'm conflating, but this looks very similar to a piece at the Honolulu Museum of Art
This is where, while making this post, I searched through my blog to see if I had the photo of the piece in question, didn't find it, then fought the Honolulu Museum search page, and then turned to google.
Yves Tanguy.  And yes, "The Long Rain" 1942.  I'm not crazy.

Rothko.

Rothko.

Wait.  Wasn't I just talking about this?

Yes.  I'm pretty sure I was.
This was largely the end of art.
I liked this warning sign.

Placard.

Sculpture overview.
And that was my trip to SF MOMA.

No comments:

Post a Comment