Friday, April 8, 2016

Friday: Music, and other things.

I don't understand Amazon Prime music streaming.  "Why?  It's like free music!"

Yes, but it's like literally free music.  I wanted to listen to a song, saw the album had free prime streaming, and tried to listen to it on my computer.  Except Linux isn't supported for prime streaming, so it doesn't work.  

But I can download it on my phone.  I know this, because during my Christmas/New Years travelling last year, I was able to use the airport wifi to identify a song that was playing as I boarded a plane, and since it was available for free prime streaming, and I could download it, I downloaded the song, the album, and two more from the same group.  Given that the band name was Thievery Corporation, I thought this was kind of funny.
Are the files encrypted on my tablet, then?  I guess so?  Also, what's the point of having "stations" if the station list is just a jumbled pile of everything?  I have something like 800 songs that I've added to my amazon mp3 library (between albums with auto-rip and directly buying things).  That isn't enough for it to come up with some sort of "maybe you'll like this station" recommendation thing?

Also, this cookie perfectly represents "Gimme Chocolate".
Since I couldn't use my work computer to stream things, I bought the newest Passepied album, "Shaba Lover".  It's pretty much the same as their previous ones.  Very good synthesizer work and complementary guitar and bass, with aggressively high pitched lyrics.  This album is a bit over compressed, so some of the peaks are saturated, but it's not as bad as other albums.  Conveniently, the publisher has one of the songs from this album on youtube, because it's a theme song for the newest Rumiko Takahashi anime:





In any case, I still wanted to listen to that Babymetal album, and I couldn't decide what to have for dinner, because nothing sounded good.

But a drive over the Pali to Kailua to get a burrito would solve both of those.

It was pretty good, but I wish they'd pull the ribs from the lettuce.
To interrupt the music discussion, why would you go to a burrito place and get a bowl?  It was super busy, and everyone had to have a bowl.  Clearly it's not for health reasons, given Mr. "Can I get double meat in my bowl?"  Burritos are better than bowls, and burritos with queso would be superior still.


Anyway, Babymetal popped up in my youtube videos yesterday, because they were on Colbert sometime this week.  I'd heard "Gimme Chocolate" on the jpop station here back before the jpop station went away.  Listening to the whole album, it's mostly just standard jpop with some heavy metal paint slapped on.  I was surprised when I got to "Headbanger."  That's explicitly a Visual Kei song.  Here's a far better discussion of Babymetal than I could ever come up with that I found when I searched to figure out what the connection was.

Because I'm talking about music today, I'll put this Bad Lip Reading parody song about Star Wars here.  It's good, and worth listening to.





Finally, because I keep forgetting to talk about it, Minecraft on my tablet has supported maps since the last update, so I'm finally able to see what my first world looks like.

The green dot is the location of the map, inside my main fortress.  You can see a gap in the trees leading south towards the lake, where I have the lake house built on that peninsula.  There's also the bridge to the west that leads to the world spawn point, where I have a small outpost with important things that I can use to get back to the main base if something bad happens with my bed.  Finally, there's the bridge to the east that leads to the plains hut, which is the starting point for my explorations of the abandoned mineshaft that's over there.  This has also forced me to start farming sugarcane (needed for making paper) and cows (needed for the leather for the item frames to display the maps on the wall). 
The rest of the links start with another youtube video.



No comments:

Post a Comment