Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Wednesday: Technically, today is Wednesday number two

 I woke up, finished packing, got on a plane, flew back in time, went home, took a nap, woke up and it was still Wednesday.

Unfortunately, flying with a congested head is a terrible thing, and I've felt horrible all 43 hours that have been in this day.  Tomorrow I'm going to the doctor to see if there's anything to be done, and hopefully make me not feel quite so bad.

In any case, thousands of hours ago, I had breakfast.
Japanese style.
Ok, so salmon, rice, miso soup, various things on the top right, poached egg on the top left, tea on bottom right.  Then I got to the cup on the bottom left.  I thought it was some sort of cake thing.  There was even a packet of honey inside.  Then I opened it, and realized it was natto.  Oops. Ick.

This was on the sidewalk.  You can't smoke outside, but you can totally smoke in restaurants.  WTF, Japan?

Trip to the airport.
Highways in Tokyo kind of thread in between buildings as needed.  It's kind of a nice solution to eminent domain issues, but I'm sure people would complain about noise.

You're a jerk, Skytree.

I thought these buildings looked like the Android droid.

Not Toonami.  Tonami.  Totally different.

I don't know how zoning works in Japan.  Tokyo seems to have four stages on the way to Narita.  The big city, with all the buildings; industrial, where all the shipping and factories are; "trash", which is a bad name, but there was a clear band of recycling/recovery/dumps; actual farms, like this one.
 Narita terminal 1 south is kind of a food wasteland.
So I decided I wanted fries.

But what's this?

A croquette?

Seriously, who the fuck even knows.

I asked what this was, guessing from the picture that it was a crab croquette.  I was assured that it was not, with the phrases "white sauce" and "macaroni" thrown out.  I stepped back from the counter to reconsider, only to be challenged with "It's a great Japanese flavor!"  Fine, counter girl at Narita terminal 1 south McDonalds, I'll play your game.

First, "whate sauce" is not simply a bechemel.  It clearly has cheese in it, or some bizarre chemical thickener that mimics a cheese sauce.  There was also a garlic hint to it.  Embedded in the sauce were tiny shrimp.  So she was right that it's not crab.  There was a gob of mayo and cabbage on the bottom, but I scraped most of that off.  Finally, some odd katsu sauce on top.

This sandwich fundamentally defies classification and grading, so I will simply go with "this exists" and "I ate the whole thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment