Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sunday: Crap, I was going to clean my apartment today.

Instead, I kind of did nothing but watch Bob's Burgers episodes on the DVR.

Wait, no, I resoldered my TV remote so it worked better.  I guess the last batteries leaked a bit and corroded one of the battery contacts.  This made it flaky when you'd push a button.  I originally thought that it was just crap under the rubber pad preventing the buttons from making good contact, but when I opened it up, it was pretty clear that the contact wasn't connected well.  I'm not super happy with the quality of the solder (I couldn't find mine, so had to repurpose the glob that was left on the board).

"Can't you just go buy another remote?"  Yes, but this one knows how to talk to the TV, DVR, PS2(DVD), and surround sound box.  I'd have to find all those remotes again (they've migrated to behind the couch, I think), put new batteries in them, and then teach the new remote all the buttons again.  Opening up the one I have and resoldering a new connector made from some wire seemed like less of a hassle.



No comments:

Post a Comment