Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tuesday: Sleeping away being sick

Seems to be the most effective way to do things.  I slept for about 12 hours, and upon waking, felt significantly better than yesterday.

Let's see if I'm missing anything for thanksgiving.

Turkey.  I think I'm going to do a salt rub tomorrow night, and then quickly roast the parts I have on Thursday.  I'm still thinking about doing a compound butter thing under the skin.  I also keep having the idea that I shouldn't roast so much as sear them in a pan first, and then bake until they're finished.  I'm undecided.

GBC.  Simple enough, and I think I have some cheddar that will go nicely with it.  I'm going to do this as a mix-ahead, cook in ramekins.

Stuffing.  Maybe I should get some sausage to put in this.  I'm thinking mix-ahead/rammekin for this as well.

Mashed potatoes.  Perhaps I've been skimping on the butter I put in my potatoes.  This pretty much has to be a day-of thing.  Garlic?  Blue cheese?  I know it needs a bit more to keep it exciting.

Gravy.  Because that's really the reason to roast meat, to make gravy.  This requires the flour that I got today.  This is another reason I'm thinking about searing/baking the turkey.  I can do that in the enamel cast iron, and make the gravy in that.  It should be easier than doing it in my roasting pan (as that always has hot/cold spots since it's so thin).

Rolls.  Cheating, but I'm cheating with taro rolls, which are tasty.

Dessert.  Hopefully Fendu will have things tomorrow, as I don't feel like making dessert myself.

It will be a party of food.

  • I really wish shit like this actually made it to market, and wasn't just some design student's final project that never sees the light of day.
  • Yes, global warming is bad, and yes, oil companies are basically the worst thing ever.  However, this article is a bit misleading.  Chevron and Exxon are pulling oil out of the ground, but the numbers listed here are based on the CO2 produced when that oil is burned.  Yes, we should be moving to more sustainable power sources, but I don't think you can blame the oil companies in this way.
  • One reason I'm trying a different turkey approach this year.  I've had turkeys in the past that seemed to have too much moisture in them after roasting, so I want to try something new.  Also: brining is kind of a giant pain in the ass.
  • I kind of got the same impression from the penny arcade job posting thing.  "You get to do way more work than is probably sane, largely because we only want to pay for one person to do this job.  Also: we're not money oriented, so you don't get to be money oriented either the pay is probably no better than median for this type of job.  We also mention that this is a 'competitive position,' so we're justified in this shitty arrangement.  This is us using the existence of a large applicant pool to force down wages and force up work hours. Yes, this is basically the very definition of being The Man."
  • Imoto Ayako is now in a meme.
  • Pizza.








No comments:

Post a Comment