Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sunday: The Google Reader-pocalypse

Apparently it dies on local time?  It's after 9pm here, which means the west coast is after midnight, so I assumed my reader would be unresponsive by now.  In any case, I spent a large chunk of this afternoon migrating everything into my tt-rss install.  It took a bit of time to get everything caught up, but I kind of like this reader better.  It doesn't pre-load posts, like the way google reader did, so there can be some delay loading posts with images served from slow hosts.  However, since each post is independent, it seems like the memory footprint is lighter.  I do need to keep a daemon running to fetch updates, and it somewhat seems like that's doing a lot of extra traffic.  The advantage of this is that I can keep the reader in a pinned tab, and watch for the tab flash to indicate when there are new things to read.

So, disappointing that google decided to shut down one of the most useful tools they ever stuck together, but I guess self hosting a replacement in my own cloud isn't a bad thing.

Sloth.

  • I don't understand why Republicans can't see that a lot of their people are crazy.
  • Sithrak.  The comic is fine, but the ads that are invisible to me may be NSFW.
  • MSU carillon.  After one concert, they opened it up, and had a quick tour that went all the way up to the belfry.  I didn't have a camera phone back then, so I have no pictures of it.
  • Fireflies.
  • I got the announcement for a conference in Taiwan, and was somewhat surprised at the prices.  $5100?  Holy crap.  Then I asked google, and it told me that 1 NTD = 0.033 USD.  That led to this comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment