Monday, June 24, 2013

Monday: pi/(2 * sqrt(sigma)) != 1 / sqrt(2 * pi * sigma^2)

That at least explains one of the three "WTF is this doing?" things I discovered today.  I'm now wondering if the errors that were observed have a clear sqrt(sigma) dependence, as this would nicely explain it.

In other good news, I think I have a decent picture queue for this week.  So much so that I'm going to throw two out today.

That's...that's just not right, Diana.

"Or, you know, you could give me some food, and then I'll give you your foot back."

  • That's not a photoshop.  They actually printed a story where Wonder Woman has to use your super powers to babysit animals.  WTF?
  • Baby Totoro.
  • I'm not even hungry and I want to eat this sandwich right now.
  • Isn't this kind of the thing that the security clearance screening is supposed to prevent?  Like, at the very most fundamental level, shouldn't the screening identify someone who only wants the job to steal secrets?
  • This happened, and this person found him.  I am devastated that I could not be the one to find the escaped red panda.  Although, knowing what I do about red pandas, it was probably less of an "escape" and more of a "got lost on way to bed, ended up outside, got confused."
  • I disagree with a lot of this article, and a number of the comments.
    • Yes, having a pantry with things is useful, but those things still don't last forever.
    • Celery doesn't keep that long in the fridge, and you can't just buy one stalk.
    • Canned soups are good to have for when you get sick.
    • Buying fresh things is good, but as above, a lot of recipes don't need an entire bunch of celery or other things, and those things are not always available in reasonable sizes.
    • Cooking all on one day is a good strategy, but it can lead to leftover burn out.  If you've had the same thing for three days, it's kind of boring.  
    • "I just don't get it when people say it's harder to cook for one than two. Just use half the portions! Duh!" Shut up, you idiot.  Not everything is easily divisible.  You can't really use half a can of tomatoes, or half a potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment