Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sunday: Adventures in health care

I guess I'm still getting the hang of this "being a grownup" and "having really snazzy health insurance" thing.

I've been getting better over the past week, so I assumed that I'd largely defeated the scourge of the upper respiratory disease/bronchitis.  Then, suddenly last night, teh dethh decided that it was time to pull a knife, and had me cough crap up into my right ear.  That was when I realized that I was going to need to consult with a doctor to pull out the big guns and murder this thing, possibly while it sleeps, possibly by burning down its house while I stand on the lawn laughing as it pounds on the windows.

Seriously, I was very unhappy this morning.  I'd hoped that sleeping on one side would drain my ear, but that wasn't the case.  I consulted the webpage for my insurance, and it said to just call up, and they'd see what they could do.  The phone nurse advised that "yeah, ears are important," and scheduled me for a 3:40 appointment.  Today.  On a Sunday.  I go, wait a little bit longer, have a quick consult, and leave with a packet of disease assassins antibiotics.

All well and good, and hopefully by tomorrow I'll be completely back to normal.  However, this brings up my standard thoughts: what if I didn't have snazzy health insurance?  This is largely why I don't understand anyone who thinks that a universal health care system would be a bad thing.  Why should anyone have to struggle through a day with an ear ache?  Why should a fairly minor thing cost someone piles of money to resolve?  I ended up having to pay like $33, $3 of which covered parking.

Alternate strategy: Everyone just eats tasty uranium burgers to defeat all illness.  Inflation suggests this would be in the $4 range today.

No comments:

Post a Comment