Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thursday: Might as well make tasty food

Since we all know that this is true:
That's right, Jake.
So, what are we going to make?  First, let's try to do some fingerling potatoes in a confit style.  Melt two sticks of butter, add some olive oil to decrease the smoke point a bit, add some cloves of garlic and the potatoes, and chuck it in the oven at 300 for an hour.
Garlic floats in molten butter, potatoes don't.
Next up, the worst filet of beef I've ever had from WF.  I had to argue with the guy at the meat counter yesterday that I didn't want the damn surf and turf deal, I just wanted the filet.  Preferably local, but they "don't have that today."  So I got this tough flavorless bastard:
Nice sear, but again, not a very good steak to start with.
Next, I need to top it with something that does have flavor, and I'm not doing a lobster tail.  Slice of foie gras should work nicely:
I'm even more impressed with this sear.
 Deglaze pan with some mushrooms, then double deglaze with some brandy, dump onto plate.
Put some asparagus there so you can pretend this is healthy.
Not bad, other than the steak.  Mushrooms worked well, but probably could have used more brandy (the flavor was uneven, with some being full of taste, and others not).  The potatoes worked better than expected, and served as a nice base to soak up juices.  I didn't need as many as I used, and had they not been soaking up flavor elsewhere, they would have needed a lot more salt.  Asparagus is asparagus.  I just quick steamed it in the oven by wrapping it in foil with a lemon slice.

I also realized today after reading everything in my RSS feeds that valentine's day is now identical to how it was in elementary school: you show everyone what TV shows/movies/etc you like this year by getting (or photoshopping) valentines that have those characters on them.



No comments:

Post a Comment