Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tuesday: Why is it almost 11 and I haven't had dinner yet?

The answer: because I don't have a menu plan and nothing sounds good.  :-/  I probably should have just picked up something on the way home.  I have bagels. Let's eat a bagel.

Ok, Operation BagelTown didn't go off quite as easily as I thought.  Given that it took an hour.  On the plus side, I started some laundry, so I'll have clothes for tomorrow.  Always a good thing.

FFTs and me made friends today, even though I'm still not totally happy with the results that came out.  It's hard to actually have to think about this crap in the transformed space, as my usual treatment is convolution or something like that where I'm just using the FFT to make a hard problem a multiplication.  Then reverse transform, and you just cheated at math.  It's like multiplying numbers by adding their logarithm, that kind of cheat.

Wonderful.

Ok, let's look at "Missiler" here. A) Stupid name. He "missiles" I guess?  I was unaware we'd verbed that word. B) I'm not really seeing any missiles anywhere on his body.  Maybe those two tubes on the chest that look like tennis ball tubes?  C) Maybe that rocket in the background just shot out of his left shoulder, perspective kind of works.  If so though, how useful is it to shoot a missile nearly straight up, but also kind of backwards to where you came from.  I think Missiler is going to have to answer some friendly-fire charges after Space War is over. D) How does he even walk?  No knees, and it doesn't look like he has any ankle level articulation.  Does he just scrape his foot up to some angle, tip over to fall down on it, and then straighten back up while scraping the other one to match?  That things going to need new feet like every step.  E) I'm pretty sure the guy on the car is just pointing at it while shouting, "Holy Shit! That is by far the ugliest and most useless robot ever.  Back up and ram it and see if we can knock it on it's back! I bet it'd be like a turtle!"

Missiler lives in a world of constant useless annoyance.  Those hands make it look like he was designed to hold trays, possibly as a butler.  But now, here he is, in the middle of Space War, trying to figure out exactly how he's supposed to missile.

Hopefully this one won't be as long as the last caption.  Bears. Winged Bears. Winged Bears with Laser Eyes.  Look in the background.  Smoke.  Clearly these WBwLEs have fucked somebody up already.  I will now simply point out that bears are carnivores, and have forward facing eyes to gain the benefit of stereopsis.  Since the lasers nicely point out where each eye is located, we can finally classify these as Winged Bears with Laser Derpy Eyes.  

Down on his luck squirrel has to go dumpster diving for food. :(
  • Squirrels!
  • I've read at least one of this guy's papers in the past, and I didn't buy it then.  A) his "fit" is pretty crappy. B) If the universe has a preferred axis, it's unlikely to exactly line up with RA. C) isn't the Sloan footprint that spidery thing that covers the north galactic cap pretty well, with spider arms down through the plane?  That doesn't seem like the best test sample in that case.  D) Finally, he "eliminates edge on spirals from consideration"?  Really?  If your theory is rotation direction A that way, and opposite rotation direction -A the other way, then somewhere in the middle you should see mostly flat things, don't you think?  Otherwise it's not really a "single universal axis" or whatever he's calling it.  Or, you know, spectral follow up to get line-of-sight velocity curves?
  • Boring but somewhat important economics article.
  • Sally Ride.  Honestly, the first two questions on this blog post were basically what I said when I heard.
  • I want to go to Book Camp.
  • I'm tired of the olympics already.  It's just a money grab where they build up athletes hopes while filling their pockets with money, leaving the host city worse off afterwards.
  • Some fucking common sense at last on this story.
  • Another peaking squirrel to get you in a good mood!
  • Just to have it crushed by this absolutely horrible story.  If I had Winged Bears with Laser Derpy Eyes, you know who I'd send them to find.
Ok, time to twiddle the date on this so it shows up around when it should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment