Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday: I suck at food storage

 Look at what I had for dinner.  Notice what's missing? That's right, the steak that's supposed to be sitting under that slab of foie gras.  Turns out someone didn't freeze that steak quickly enough, and so when it defrosted, it wasn't any good anymore.  Fuck.  That kind of made dinner not really what I was expecting.
Thanks for your support, Dexter.
In any case, it turns out that a big baked potato and a giant wad of creamed spinach is pretty much a full meal anyway.  I suspect that's due to the fact that I used piles of Parmesan and lots of cream.  I tried to follow this recipe, but mine came out a bit runnier.  Too much cream?  Insufficient squishing?  It wasn't really a big deal, as it still tasted good.  This would have been too much with a steak as well, so it turned out not so bad.

The foie gras was added just for spite, since California officially banned it today.  Quick sear in a pan, with a super fast sauce made by deglazing with brandy, and letting the brandy/fat mixture reduce into a thick glaze.  With the intense flavors from the spinach and foie gras, I didn't need to do anything to the baked potato, and just used it as a base for the others.

Because it's funny.
I should probably put together some sort of meal plan for this week.  The fourth falling on a Wednesday is inconvenient, as it breaks up the work week.  I'm tempted to take Thursday and Friday off, but that would require getting a bunch of work finished in two days.  In any case, I don't really feel like making something like pulled pork this year.
  • Monday: No clue. Maybe something pasta-y?
  • Tuesday: Revenge of lack of clues.
  • Wednesday: I'm thinking maybe doing hot dogs?  Chili dogs would be good too.
  • Thursday: Again?  Maybe bratwurst instead?
  • Friday: This clearly didn't work as well as I had hoped when I started the plan.
"Sir, I just need to see your license and registration, you do not need to get upset!"

No comments:

Post a Comment