Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wednesday: Three Ingredients

That's surprisingly all it takes to make a super delicious main course. Let's go to the monkey plate:

The three ingredients for the saltimbocca:

  • Chicken, pounded until "fuck it, even enough."  I used boneless skinless thighs, as they have a much better flavor/price ratio than breasts.
  • Fresh sage, hiding in the elephant section on the far side of the picture.  I used two leaves per thigh piece.
  • Prosciutto.  I used a slice per thigh.
I might as well cover the other ingredients in the back that I used for the spaghetti:
  • About that much grated parmesan and romano. Three tablespoons maybe? I don't know. I grated until I was tired of it.
  • A Maui onion, sliced rather thinly, and then broken apart when I cooked them.
  • Blob of garlic paste from the tube, as I need to use that up.
  • Butter.
  • Not pictured: vermouth.
Simple enough recipe.  Pound out the chicken, push the sage onto it, add a slice of prosciutto, roll it up so it looks like this:
I dusted a bit with some flour in the hope that it would help it brown, and added pepper.  I didn't do any salt, since the prosciutto is pretty salty anyway.  Pan fry in some butter and olive oil.  If I had them, I probably would have used toothpicks to hold them closed.  Mine stayed together reasonably well, with two rolled nicely, two mostly rolled, and two that kind of came completely undone.

The pasta wasn't hard either.  Boil the spaghetti, cook the chicken, remove the chicken from the pan, drain the spaghetti, drain out most of the fat in the chicken pan, deglaze with vermouth, add onion and garlic paste, stir until the onions are soft, add pasta, stir, add cheese, plate.


Willy nilly top with pan fried asparagus and a bit more pepper.

The chicken was delicious.  Three ingredients come together to make something incredibly flavorful.  The pasta was a bit sheepier than I wanted, suggesting I had a bit too much romano.  This isn't really a problem, and I had no trouble finishing all of it.  This was probably a bit too much asparagus, but I want to eat my bunch in the three meals I'm getting out of this chicken.

I also got a loaf of bread at the bakery this evening, and put it into the oven to warm up.  Unfortunately, I didn't remember it until half way through the meal.  Oops.

I may also have gotten brownies at the bakery that I may or may not be eating for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment