Monday, October 31, 2011

Slider Week Monday: Mahi Mahi

Why is it slider week? Because I decided it was going to be.  Yes, I know that sliders are overrated and not cool anymore.  I don't care. I want to eat tiny cute sandwiches.  Therefore, it's a theme week.

Today is mahi mahi slider day.  My first step was to dress the buns:


Toasted bun with some green onion slices and macadamia nut "butter" and red pepper flakes.  My idea with this was to take the concept of macadamia crusted mahi mahi, and convert it.  I had intended to toast the nuts before running them through the food processor, but completely forgot to do that.  That probably would have enhanced the butter's flavor.  In any case, I made the butter by taking a handful of nuts, pulsing them in the processor, and adding in a bit of olive oil and honey to sweeten and bind it all together.  It has a dry texture, not really being smooth like peanut butter.  It's very good though, and I kept eating bits of it from the dish.  


Adding the fish.  The portions aren't even because the filet I got wasn't symmetric around the center line.  Also: slanty fish + rolly green onions = slide-y top buns. I guess that covers the "slider" aspect of things.


Plated.  Handful of chips and a quick salad of romaine + spouts in a super simple dressing of apple cider vinegar and olive oil.  I have tomatoes, but didn't feel like slicing one up.

The sliders were good, but again, the macadamia butter wasn't really strong enough to match the fish.  I guess I could have put the buns under the broiler for a bit to simulate toasting, but I didn't think of it at the time.  Still, when I did get butter to come through (the one with the smaller fish worked better at this), it did exactly what I wanted.  The fish gave an oily base, with the butter balancing with a sweet nuttiness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment