Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sunday: Soy/ginger salmon

Yay for menu planning!  The first step of this recipe was to make the marinade/sauce.  The ingredients:

  • Honey (made by local bees)
  • Soy sauce (nearly empty bottle with replacement in the background)
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Garlic paste (because I didn't feel like mincing a clove of garlic, and I had this in the fridge)
  • Chunk of ginger (which I broke into chunks when I was done and put into the freezer for the future, as Dan suggested)
  • Salmon (I didn't realize how many varieties of salmon I'd have to choose from at WF. They have one type of everything except salmon. That gets four.)


Dump/squeeze/grate/etc. everything into a bowl, and mix it with a fork.  I reserved a few teaspoons of sauce in a different bowl to use for dressing the fish when I was plating.


Pull out all the tiny bones from the salmon, slice into two with the slightly broken knife, and then throw into a zip bag with the marinade, and put in the fridge for a half hour or so while the rice cooks.  After the rice is finished, I turned the broiler on high, and got everything ready.  First, I tossed my sugar snap peas in some olive oil, and then put them on a baking sheet.  I sprinkled sea salt and a bit of thyme over them.  Next, cut a tiny Maui onion almost completely through with radial cuts, and then use that as a brush to oil the sheet for the fish.  Then broil everything for 5-7 minutes.


Top the fish with some of the reserved sauce, and the rice with super delicious shiso furikake.  Even though the fish was unevenly cooked (as it is unevenly thick), it tasted great, and I expect tomorrow's piece to be even better (since it will have longer to marinate).  The onion probably needed to cook a bit more, but I really like the onion/salmon pairing, and this brought exactly what I was hoping to the meal.  The peas were a surprise, coming out tender and salty-sweet.

For something that I threw together mainly as a "come up with something that uses a different fish," this worked much better than I was expecting.  Now if I only had a cookiepie to have for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment