Saturday, July 16, 2016

Saturday: So many things trying to be jerks.

I had a nice plan for the day.  It was going to be a great day.  It turned out to be just blah at best.  Here's what happened.

First step of the day: get lunch.  Since the new Five Guys opened in Mililani, I figured that would be a good place.  I also figured that since they've been open for a few weeks, that they wouldn't be super busy at 2pm.
I was wrong.
It was full of people, most of whom were just standing around.  I got in line, and three orders later, had my order in:

Good old number 35.
I got my drink, milled about as is the fashion, and when the big table finally cleared out (including the one lady who decided she wanted the sushi from next door), I sat down to wait.  That's when I heard the guy at the counter calling out an order.  "Eight!"

Yes.  Fucking 8.  So I had lots of time.  Thirty minutes of time.  If I hadn't driven across the island, I wouldn't have stayed.  Also note that the prices are a bit insane, especially given how long it took to get my food.

I also saw a kid with a horrible mohawk.  Kid, you need better parents, or at least parents who have a concept of a straight line.  It's not stylish to have bumps and wiggles.

Anyway, the food arrived.
"Wait, what?  Where's the top bun?"
Oh.  Yeah.
It's in this pile with the gob of mayo, the pale tomatoes, and the crappy looking lettuce.
Despite my burger being the super simple "bacon + mushrooms," they fucked it up by putting all the shit on it.  Since you can't unmayo a bun, I had to just ditch it, and accept that I was eating a badly made burger.  With like two mushrooms, one of which was outside the bun.  There was also a bunch of grilled onions, which, whatever, I like grilled onions, but they were also about 50% on the outside of the burger.  Just a fucking mess of a badly made burger.

Also, I get the "we put extra fries in the bag" idea.  I don't get "we put so many extra fries in the bag that you have to rip it apart to get to the burger we buried at the bottom."  I don't need a pound of fries.  I got a small fries.  I want a small amount of fries.  They're there to space out the bites of burger so you don't just eat it all in one go.  They should ideally not be soggy messes.  I wonder if they thought "a bunch of soggy fries will make up for us taking 30 minutes to fuck up your burger."  No.  And there should have been a quorum of Guys there to make that decision.

I mean, the burger wasn't bad, once I threw out the shit I didn't want.  Some of the fries were crispy, and were salted well.
But, I also had lots of time to ponder the receipt while waiting, so I saw that there was an online survey.
Sorry, but fuck this place.  I can get ok-ish burgers closer, for less money, and without them being all fucked up.
Another reason I had lots of time is that my RSS app on my phone was telling me it couldn't connect to the server at home.  I could ssh to the server, so the obvious solution was "the database got corrupted."  Wonderful.  This hasn't happened in like eight months, so I assumed we were past this fault case.  I really need to rebuild a new server, and make it a cluster for reliability.

But that wasn't something I could fix until I got home, and although I considered driving the long way around the north side of the island, that seemed excessive.

So I took H-3 to Kaneohe and back.  It's greener than last time I went.  There was also not a sky anomaly, I just didn't take all the images I needed of the clouds.  I also didn't want to bother fixing the wave.
Partially because this is the second attempt at the mosaic.  The first one failed when it ate up all 16+ GB of memory on my laptop.  I scaled the inputs by a factor of two to make this one.

After failing to make the mosaic, fixing the RSS database, and discovering that pretty much all of the books I'm reading on a topic are disturbingly vague about syntax (also, "warning: there was one deprecation warning; re-run with -deprecation for details" could be rewritten as "I'm a jerk.  Here I am, being a jerk to you.  Fuck you." and retain the same level of utility), I decided to go on a Pokemon (Go) journey.  This was partly fueled by the fact that I remembered this morning that I have Pokemon album in my amazon music library, and listened to it while driving for lunch.

Also, hey yelp!  This is not my definition of "Pokestop nearby."
Anyway, here's my path:
The odd jag onto Heulu was to get a Pokestop without going into a church parking lot.
How did it go?
My neighborhood is junk.
I did get two Oddish, which I didn't have.  I also battled two gyms, and I either am doing something wrong, or gyms just suck and aren't fun.  I get that you have to tap to make your Pokemon attack, and that getting type advantages is a good thing.  I don't get how the fuck I'm supposed to beat a seemingly never ending stream of enemies with one of my Pokemon (if it's a friendly gym), or how I'm supposed to use six of mine to beat impossibly strong enemies (if it's not).  Was it fun to be level 10 for twenty minutes on the 8th of July, and that's it?  I've been trying to build my Pokemon up (my Pidgeot is nearly CP 600), but when I end up fighting four CP 1200 Flareons followed by at least one CP 1000 Jolteon, what's the fucking point?

Also, fuck your Eeveelutions.

And then the servers crashed so I didn't get ~1/2 km of my journey applied to my eggs.  New server crash screen, though, so I guess that's an improvement?

 Links.


  • Not Pokemon.
    • Did you know Jill Stein is either a garbage person, or is pandering to idiots in such a way as to impersonate a garbage person?  I'm all for preventing corporations from using power to ensure their own profits, but I'm also for people not dying from preventable diseases because "conspiracy."  Also, the correct response to "what about homeopathy," is "fuck that shit, what are you, some sort of goddamn moron?"
    • This comic looks kind of interesting, but it doesn't seem to be completely out.  I should make a tag for things that I should check back on in the future.
    • Katy Beary.
    • Hilary Clinton.
  • Pokemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment