Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Tuesday: "Hey you, Pikachu!"

My new phone arrived today, getting here two days earlier than the initial estimate.  That of course meant that I spent a large chunk of the evening installing apps, finding out it already wanted to reinstall apps from my old phone, deleting the apps I didn't want again, and generally dicking around with it.
The overlay comparison figure from this phone comparison page.
I'll do pictures and whatnot tomorrow.  Today is just first impressions.

  1. Even though it's bigger in area, it feels smaller.
  2. Because it's lighter.  That comparison says it's only a 20% drop, but it feels like more.
  3. It's also thinner.  The tapered design feels nice in the hand, and the Motorola logo on the back is a perfect resting place for a finger while you're holding it.
  4. It's faster, with none of the lag and hesitation in the old phone.
  5. It went from 35% to fully charged in the time I put it on the charger so I could eat dinner and read the internet.  The old phone would never get to a full charge in any reasonable amount of time.
Even though I always feel weird getting replacement tech (because I at least partially personify it), this has been a fairly easy transition.  Sure, there's no physical keyboard, but even ssh didn't feel that hard.

Speaking of personifying tech, Motorola has their own wrapper onto the google voice command thing, and it works even when the screen is off.  I need to sort out how to work through the lock screen (I'm sure there's a reasonable solution), but to get to that point, I needed a command phrase.  I thought and thought, and eventually decided on the best way to weirdly personify my device:
"Hey you, Pikachu!"

Unfortunately, my only mention of HY:P is this post, which I'll have to fix at some point.  In any case, the short form is that long ago in grad school, I bought a Nintendo 64 for cheap when they were on the final clearance.  I then went to buy some used games, and after selecting "Hey you, Pikachu!", I was confronted by an argument with the salesperson, who refused to sell me the game.

"Because it's bad and doesn't work."

Eventually, they decided I could buy it if I also took a football N64 memory card, which was fine because I didn't have a memory card, and didn't care that it was football shaped.  I brought the game home, plugged in the controller and the second-controller microphone, and realized that the game isn't necessarily bad, but it certainly doesn't work.  The main game type I remember:  Bulbasaur is making a stew, and you need to find ingredients.  You have to tell Pikachu what to pick up, and Pikachu responds by completely ignoring you until the sun goes down and Bulbasaur's stew consists of hot water.

In any case, other than the lockscreen issue, Motorola's HY:P seems to work fine, identifying a song I had playing and attempting to launch google's music store correctly for "what's this song" and "play music".  I'll need to learn the other commands it knows as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment