Sunday, November 11, 2012

I never realized that that meant "Mr. Crunch"

Croque-monsieur.

Anyway, I've realized that Thanksgiving is coming up again, so I need to put together a menu plan.  I think I'm going to take a different tactic this year, and drop the turkey.  I've done lots of turkeys, and they always come out tasty, but I'm bored with them now.  They also take lots of time to brine and prepare and all that.  So:


  • Ham.  I haven't ever done a full ham before, so it'll be something new.
  • Mac & Cheese.  I know it's not "traditional," but if I'm going to change things up, that's not a problem.
  • Another starch?  Twice baked potatoes sound good.  A potato onion tart/gratin might be good too.
  • Green bean casserole.  This covers a vegetable, but I kind of want another one.  Maybe this mushroom/onion dish?  I could also throw apples in with the ham, and use those to make a quick applesauce.
  • Bread of some sort.  I want to have something to make tiny ham slider sandwich leftovers, so I guess I'll make rolls.
  • My dessert ideas seem to involve apples, so I probably shouldn't use them in the dinner itself.  Option 1: use some puff pastry and apples to make tarts.  Option 2: make hot apple sauce/compote, and use it to top ice cream.  I live in the tropics, so ice cream isn't odd.
Let's use that as the starting point, and see if I come up with any other ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I was at a restaurant the other day when someone asked the waiter what that meant, but no one knew.

    ReplyDelete