Saturday, March 12, 2016

Saturday: I planned a bunch of things for today.

First of all, I wanted french toast again.  But I felt like going back to the same place would be weird.  So I went to a different pancakery, which produces decent, but not quite as good breakfast food as my usual place.
 And then I went home for four hours, while waiting for movies.  But then after buying tickets, I still had to waste some time.  I didn't take any pictures of the psychopaths at Radio Shack attempting to charge $18 for a usb otg cable.  I guess I'm going to order a $2 one from Amazon, even though I already placed an Amazon order today.  :-/

I also did not buy a Pikachu backpack.

Or Tsum-Tsum scented colored pencils.  

Or just Tsum-Tsums.  Elsa looks a bit possessed there.
 Obligatory ticket stub picture:
With nearly useless titles.
Movie 1 was The Boy and the Beast, which I described while eating sushi as: "Um... This kid runs away from home, follows monsters into the monster world, and everyone grows into a better person/monster."  Which is totally all true.  There's more details, but that's the main points.  I'm going to pre-emptively call this one my favorite movie of the year, and note that it's probably going to be nominated for the animation Oscar and lose to this year's dumb looking Pixar movie (Finding Dori?  Really?) because people are dumb.  It's very good, even if all the "twists" are super obvious.

Sushi.  Well, unagi + miso + ebi fry + "I probably shouldn't take gyoza from the belt that has been sitting there for an unknown time."  It's wasn't bad, just cold and less good that it would be hot.
 Movie 2 was Only Yesterday.  Looking at this link, it seems I only have two more Miyazaki movies to see to cover them all: Pom Poko and Whisper of the Heart.  I also could add Kingdom of Dreams and Madness to that table, since I saw that last year.  Short version: I can see why this took 25 years to come to North America.  It's well written, and brilliantly animated, but the story isn't the same exciting adventure that most other Ghibli movies are.  The story is about Taeko, who is going on vacation in the countryside, because she wants to get away from the city.  A lot of the story is told in flashbacks to when she was 10, and even though it all works out in the end, Taeko had kind of a crappy childhood and her dad was an asshole.  Worth seeing if only for the scenes of the fields.  Bonus: I now know how to make rouge and dye cloth using safflower.  "What?"  It's kind of a lot of work.

Also, it's weird being in the mall when everything is closed and no one else is around.
No links today, as I didn't finish reading all the internet today, and it's already 1:19am 11:59pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment