Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thursday: Travelling home

Or, a summary of the food I ate today.

Pizza from Austin airport on the plane to San Francisco.
Not a bad flight, with a reasonable seat.  I probably should have finished the pizza before getting on board, as it was a bit cold.  The problem with this is that they kept taunting that they were going to start boarding.

Side note for travelling through Austin: if there's a big line for the security, just go through the "premium" line.  The guy checking IDs doesn't fucking care, and getting you through is just easier than checking that you belong there.  I also don't understand the point of those stupid backscatter machines if they're not used all the time.  Why do I need to bother with the stupid opt-out shit?

After arriving at SFO, I had just enough time to get from one flight to the next before boarding started.  There was the standard mob of people who didn't understand how boarding numbers work.  I got to my seat, only to discover that the people in front of me were trying to get everyone around them to trade seats so they could sit with their friends.  As far as I could gather, the problem was:

  1. These jerks were travelling as a set of three couples.
  2. None of them booked together.
  3. None of them understood how to change seats prior to check-in.
  4. One couple was extra stupid, as they not only were in different parts of the plane, but had different boarding numbers.
I've had to deal with these kind of people before, and I do not understand why they get so angry when you tell them you don't want to switch seats.  I planned ahead, jackass, and figured out where I wanted to sit.  You didn't, so why should I trade my research and planning so you can sit together with people you're going on vacation with?

In any case, some other jackass on the plane decided that he didn't want an upgrade to business class if he couldn't have a window, so I got it instead.


Did you know you can get free mimosas in business class just by asking?  That guy apparently didn't.  Also, since this is America, the free mimosas are technically free bottomless mimosas.  One before breakfast, one with breakfast, and then I decided it was time to sleep.
Sure, it was a middle seat, but when the middle seat is huge, and comes with eight inch wide armrests, it really doesn't matter.  I would have liked a window as well, but this seat comes with free food and a more comfortable place to sleep.

The free food.  Breakfast isn't really something that can shine.  The fruit was decent, as was the strawberry yogurt.  The croissant that came later wasn't terrible, either.  The omelette was ok, although some sort of hot sauce would have helped.  The sausage wasn't great, and the middle thing is some sort of spinach/potato hash.  It wasn't really "bad," but it's not something I would have wanted if I had had a choice.
Sleeping on the plane to Honolulu was really the best use of time, as it meant that I wasn't super tired when I got home, despite not sleeping at all Wednesday night.  That was good, as it allowed me to head out to get groceries.

Also sushi.
I had been thinking about taking friday off as well, and when I got home, I found a good reason to stick to that plan:  They're painting apartment doors this week, and I need to be home tomorrow for that to happen.  Plus, once they're finished, it has to sit open for two hours to dry.  That means I'm going to work from home getting the stuff I sorted out while on vacation checked to see that it's working as designed.




No comments:

Post a Comment