Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday: Too much coffee, too late in the day, too much stuff

Lunch:
Ryu of Japan.  Combination plate.  I like large varieties of food.

Afternoon:
"We'll never tell where the bodies are buried!" "Never ever!"

Crafts:
For reasons.

Late night:
I felt bad not getting proper food when visiting a place late at night to take advantage of the isolation to do work stuff.  Not a terrible sandwich, but tomatoes don't really belong inside paninis.  Still, on the way over, I had a thought that "grilled cheese" would be a good late night work snack, and this covered that base suitably.

Solutions: 
Allowing me to do this (left: original; right: modified reconstruction).
Given image i, such that i = a + n + c, where a is the astronomical signal, n is the random noise, and c is the detector specific corruption, define a new image i' = (a - a') + n + c, where we've removed an estimate of the astronomical signal a'.  This has a Fourier transform F(i') = (A - A') + N + C, using the fact that Fourier transforms are linear.  Assuming a' is a sufficiently suitable proxy for a, and that n is small (specifically that ||N|| << ||F(i')||), this leaves F(i') ~ C.  Constructing a Fourier mask that removes C results in t ~ (a - a') + n + c.  The difference of i' and t provides a clean estimate of c, which can then be removed from i: o = i - (i' - t).

I need to test that photometric properties are retained by this transformation, and I'd like to speed it up some and sort out some of the edge case issues (visible around the blank bands above), but I think this solves the bulk of the issues with this problem.

Links:

  • For tomorrow: how to set up a CVS repository.  Yes, I know everyone loves SVN now, but CVS is easier, and it works just fine for projects that aren't likely to need lots of branches and reversions.
  • Squirrels.
  • If I recall correctly, this image is from the episode of Black Books where Bernard and Manny drink a bunch of really expensive wine.  That reminds me: I should rewatch Black Books again.
  • I apparently have this on already?  I don't have the password locking in place, but I can find my phone if I lose it, or make it ring via the internet.  It's like google is that person you IM to have them call your phone because it's hiding between the couch cushions.
  • Sleepy Puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment