Thursday, August 9, 2018

Thursday: Eight terabytes of free space

192.168.1.10:/mnt/md0/media  7.3T   36G  7.2T   1% /data/NAS/media

Ok, so it's 7.3 when you convert from fake numbers to base 2.  But still, that's a lot of free space.

It also doesn't quite fit where I planned to put it.
I'll have to move it at some point.  Four disks, 4TB each, RAID 10 to stripe and mirror for safety, and then an evening of configuration to make sure it allows ssh connections in, that it allows NFS connections in, and that it serves DLNA data to the local network.  The ssh and NFS work through the wifi firewall, so I have no clue why that never worked with the old system.  Speaking of which, I'll need to plug that in soon so I can rsync data off before decommissioning it.  That picture above shows the current main computer.  One box running the RAID array and storage, and a tiny box running the firewall and services.  The NAS runs linux as well, so I could set that up as the service backup, but I think I'm likely to get another tiny box.

I didn't finish reading the internet, and I need to start panicking about travel tomorrow.  Yay, fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment