Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Tuesday: Overmorrow.

"What?"  They're doing one of those stupid "shut off the water at my apartment all morning" things on Thursday, and when I saw the sign while waiting for the elevator, I thought, "I think there's a word for 'the day after tomorrow' in German [übermorgen].  Do we have one in English?"  So I googled it, googled it again with "-movie", and discovered that yes, we do.

I don't know why this mango lemon bread was tastier in sample format.

Nor do I know who "Walter" is, and why his foes decided to randomly chalk things.


Election thought 1:  I wasn't a fan of Hillary Clinton during the 2008 election, although I don't have the energy to go through this massive page on wikipedia to attempt to figure out why.  I vaguely think it was "not as good on lgbt issues" and "kind of sketchy on 'protect children from scary video games'".  I was happy then when Obama won, making me the sole winner of "predict who will win the election far in advance while having Pizza Hut lunch buffet with a bunch of people in grad school."  See, I remember the important details.  This time, I'm very happy she's won things, as I think she's changed positions on the things that are important.

Election thought 2:  Which means I'm also happy that Sanders is not going to continue.  I was vaguely on board with him until he started putting out details, at which point it seemed like he was just making shit up.  Looking at the meltdown of people who can post comments, but probably shouldn't, they seem to fall into two main categories:  a) "it doesn't matter, because I was an independent before, and I'll go back to being an independent, SO THERE" and b) "it was all stolen, because it's inconceivable that my opinion isn't the most popular, SO THERE."  The fun thing that I saw today as well was "the AP shouldn't have written their story yesterday, because it's not like we even know who these secret superdelegates are!"  Um.  Yes.  Yes we do.  Wikipedia is literally the opposite of "where you put secrets."  This seems to indicate a fundamental unwillingness to look things up.

Election thought 3:  The last paragraph really is important here.  I suspect that Sunday's phone call was largely a "look at reality" thing.  This is kind of disappointing too, if the internal people have really known it was a lost cause for that long.  Then again, a lot of this may be political advisers trying to bail in such a way that they can get positions in the Clinton administration.

Election thought 4:  Which is also what I suspect is happening on the Republican side.  People who really have no interest in Trump getting elected know they have to at least cling to the campaign in the off chance that he can win and they can squeeze out a job.  They can't, because he won't, but that's really the best option for a lot of people.  This is also where I'd have a link if I could find it to the fun conspiracy theory on the entire Trump campaign, but I can't remember where I read it.  The main idea is that a) he is no where nearly as rich as he's claiming; b) so the campaign was just supposed to be a thing he could use to self-promote and then bow out nicely to probably a Bush or someone; c) that didn't happen, to everyone's surprise; d) now he's just coasting along without a real campaign staff because that requires a level of delegation and thinking his ego isn't capable of dealing with.




No comments:

Post a Comment