Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Adventures in NFC.

My Clipper Card arrived this week, and after getting it out of the envelope today, I realized that it probably uses the same NFC tech that my phone has.  After checking this with a simple reader, I found an app designed to decode information from fare cards.
So, with card ids blacked out:
Yep.  I have to collect the money on one of their machines.  This makes sense that they don't mail active cards.

No, card, I haven't taken any trips.
Except, I have a Suica card from when I went to Tokyo too:

Although I should probably throw out the HK chapstick by now.
How much does that have on it?

About $2.  $1.81 with the yen's continuing slide against the dollar.
But this has a history.  I think it's limited by when I recharged it?
In any case, this covers Monday and Tuesday of that trip.

Cool.


Also, because I was curious, what has the yen done since then?
So I paid about $2.25 for the 220¥ that are now worth about $1.81.  Clearly, investing in Suica fare cards has been a poor investment strategy.


No comments:

Post a Comment