Saturday, July 19, 2014

Saturday: Clearly, I need to go to the museum more than I do.

Because when I was looking through to get the links to my previous visits, I found this one, and then this one (which unfortunately has the exact Cain and Abel joke I was going to make in this post).  That works out to me only really going once every 15 months or so.  That's far less frequently than I thought.  Anyway:

Museum!
Since this is the first time ever that I've been on a Saturday, I made a reservation to get lunch at the cafe.

I had a tiny plant, and the lady at the next table had her ipad.
 I didn't have any plan going in, as it's mostly a sandwich and salad thing.
Then again, so was the British Museum.
I went with the pasta special:
Mahi-mahi, kalamata olives, capers, roasted peppers, in a roasted tomato sauce.
 So.  Salt.  It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't really what I was hoping for.  The peppers were too harsh, so I pushed them all to one side and pretended they didn't exist.  The tomato chunks were roasted just enough to make them sweet, but the capers and olives overwhelmed them in big combined bites.  I think I should have gone with a sandwich instead.

And of course I got a dessert:
"Chocolate Walnut Torte" sounded suspiciously like what a brownie would call itself if it was trying to hide.
Again, not bad, but not quite what I had hoped for.  I wanted more chocolate fudgy flavor.  But, that's kind of universally true.

Anyway, art time.  I had planned to go to see the Art Deco exhibit, but I didn't take any pictures in that room, as I wasn't sure what the photography policy is.  Then I noticed that some things have "no camera" signs, but by then I'd already moved past the things I would have taken pictures of.

Now, I'm not saying that this native Hawaiian mask looks like Cthulhu, but...

I've changed my mind.  This is the new greatest tiger in the history of the world.

Jars that look like bunnies.

"No way!"

"You know what?  Your cross sucks!  There, I said it!  Your cross is crap, and it's got nothing on my sweet ass book!"

"Let us adore the Jesus we've dumped on the ground."
 And then, looking closer:
"Damn it, sky surfer angel! Stop scaring my livestock!"

This jar looks like a kitty.
By this point it was three hours later, I'd seen everything, and so I went to the shop.

And, obviously bought the catalogue for the show.

Plus this other book about Hawaiian ephemera.

And two postcards.  I see this guy every time I visit, so I figured I'd get a card of him.  The other one is a carving from the art deco exhibit.

Link time.

  • I saw a youtube video last night from the ISS, and saw that they use Thinkpads too.  This led me to remember that I need to find one of the new thinkpads in a store, and see if the new trackpad is usable or not.  I'm concerned I'm going to miss having real actual buttons to click.
  • Totoro.
  • Bear.
  • Josephine Baker, to add more art deco.

No comments:

Post a Comment