Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sunday: Why won't you fucking work, you stupid function?

Switch from approximation 1 to approximation 4, attempt to make that work, discover that I still can't get things to work quite correctly.  I'm tempted to switch to approximation 99, and then just use numerical derivatives.  Fucking non-analytic functions.

However, before futzing with math I'm still not happy with, I went and got lunch.

And fries.  And onion straws.  Unfortunately, the onions were too greasy, so much so that I really couldn't eat many of them.  The fries were decent, though.

The burger.
The concept behind this burger was "double buffalo."  First, buffalo meat burger.  Second, blue cheese and wing sauce.  Finish with bacon (because bacon), sauteed onions (because burgers aren't slippery enough), mixed greens (to pretend it's healthy), and shredded carrot (which worked much better than I was expecting in the burger.  The goal for it was to simulate the carrots that soak up the sauce in the bottom of a bowl of wings).

Sliced.  Note this isn't even remotely close to the medium I ordered, but it was warm all the way through, so that wasn't a problem.
The verdict on this is somewhat mixed.  The sauce and cheese outweigh the meat flavor, so it probably could be made with regular beef instead.  This burger was a bit light on the cheese, which meant that individual bites were quite different.  I think that means this is likely done best at home, where I can ensure that the cheese/sauce/meat balance is more appropriate.  The veggies on the bottom worked fairly well, with the carrots adding a nice crunch.  The onions and bacon could probably be left off.  The onions just made it messy, and the bacon was thin, so there wasn't much of the smokey flavor I was hoping it would add.  Another point for making it at home, where that can be tuned much better.


  • This blog post from yesterday was what prompted my burger-speriment.  I didn't go to Teddy's, as the meat quality at the Counter is a bit better.  HBC was another option, but I don't think they have the sauce.
  • I originally found this picture elsewhere, but it was linked to a flickr account where the douche had claimed "all rights reserved."  DIAF, asshole.  Cropping a 70 year old advertisement doesn't give you any rights.
  • Here.  Have some Team Rocket.  Weren't expecting that, were you?
  • Oh, so Joss Whedon is responding directly to my accusations now?

No comments:

Post a Comment