Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday: Fuck you, Elsevier

  1. You suck.
  2. You lock up all your articles behind a pay wall, even if they're 30-odd years old.
  3. When I crack the library proxy barrier to get to the journal, you don't even have an electronic copy available, so that "buy this article for $40" really means, "wait 4-6 weeks for us to print the pdf we keep hidden in a vault and mail that to you."
  4. We live in the future now, so requesting the main university library pull the bound journal out of storage and send it to me is basically unheard of.  I did that once during my thesis, and it was such a rare occurrence that even some of the faculty were surprised I would use such an archaic means of reading a paper.  And that journal was originally published in Russian, Elsevier.  What's your excuse?
You brought a bear on a freaking boat.  I'm pretty sure the bear had already resolved that "these fuckers who put me on a boat must die."
  • I really liked tonight's episode of Adventure Time.  Seeing where BMO came from was cool.
  • I've seen this experiment done with marshmallows, but it's the same here.  The only trick is that you need to keep the food from rotating, so you have to take out the turntable.
  • Since the Republicans are rather anti-democracy with their attempts to impair voter registration/voting, why not just do the same thing here?  Have the candidates nominated by a controllable state committee.  Then no one has to worry about having to face a primary challenger.

No comments:

Post a Comment