Saturday, July 6, 2013

Saturday: I may have given the middle finger to two families of four today.

In my defense, they were both in cars driven by absolute assholes.  This intersection is really bad with people who don't know how to drive.  Here's the sequence of events that leads to all the problems:


  1. Piikoi goes down to the shore, and so it accumulates a lot of traffic as it goes north.  Traffic from Ala Moana and Waikiki both use it as a main way to get on to H-1 West.  As shown on this table, there aren't many easily accessed westbound entrances to the east, so everyone takes Piikoi up to the Lunalilo entrance.
  2. From the google map picture, you can see that there are four Piikoi lanes that continue past Kinau.  However, the leftmost (P-1) is useless, as it is designed to take you to the post office or back down Pensacola. The rightmost (P-4) takes you to the H-1 East entrance.  This leaves the other two for traffic that wants to get on H-1W.  The second left (P-2) is the correct lane, and the third (P-3)continues up Piikoi past H-1, but before that, it splits into two new lanes, one of which also goes down Lunalilo.  However, it is not the lane to be in if you want the highway, although people force their way in anyway.
  3. The lights are all fucked up.  There is no synchronization at all, so if the Lunalilo light is green, odds are good the Kinau light is going to be red for that entire time, preventing any sort of flow to happen.  This leads people to try anything to make it through any given light, as otherwise they may be forced to wait until the next cycle.  Note that lights being all fucked up is not limited to Piikoi.  Pensacola has its own issues with this.
  4. People don't know how to pull up to maximize the utility of each lane.  Half to full car length gaps are astonishingly common.
This leads to me, sitting on Kinau, trying to turn left onto Piikoi so I could take H-1E.  Note that that shouldn't be too hard: there's nothing blocking that entrance, so once through the Kinau light, I can pull on directly (the Kinau H-1E onramp will be a topic for a future "why does Honolulu have such fucked up roads?").

I wait a cycle, after which I'm number 3 in the second left turn lane on Kinau (no one uses the first left, K-1, as that goes to the post office).  The light turns green, but because the light at Lunalilo is red still, no one can really move.  One car makes it past to continue up Piikoi (P-3), leaving the next to turn into P-2 and stop with half a car length in front, effectively blocking K-2 from being used for either turning left or continuing straight.  Because of this (and that guy's hesitation), I'm left sitting in the crosswalk when the light turns red, forcing me to apologize to the pedestrians who now have to walk around me.  So, asshole in the black SUV gets the finger (along with his stupid family).

The Lunalilo light turns green a few seconds later, allowing that section of road to clear out.  However, it turns back to red before the Kinau light changes for Piikoi, so it again backs up.  P-2 is now backed up to the curb (there's no crosswalk on that side), and the Kinau light starts to turn to yellow.  I assume I'm perfectly clear because I can just go around when it switches to red (green for me).  However, the next jackass takes that yellow light as a signal to be a complete fuckface, and dashes up as his light turns red, again blocking K-2.  I honk at him, but, due to the significant fucktardary in his head, he looks backwards to see what's going on.  This was unfortunate, as it means he completely missed me flipping him off.

Lunalilo turns green again, allowing this dumbass to finally pull out of Kinau, letting me actually get into P-4 so I can merge onto H1.  It was as I was pulling past him (with finger firmly extended) that I was able to see that this jackass also had a family.  Your dad is a moron, kids.  Sorry about that.

Anyway, then I had sushi, and things were better:
I'd already had a bunch, but wanted something cooked.  I knew that would take a while, so I got miso soup to have while the cooked thing was cooked.

The cooked thing: garlic ahi.
  • That intersection is also number 2 on this accident list.  Beretania and Piikoi is three, but that's gotten significantly better since they reworked it last year (new dedicated right turn from Beretania to Piikoi; much clearer traffic lights; I think they've adjusted the timings a bit, too).
  • I like this clock.
  • Crabs Adjust Humidity.  I think this is now the fourth Cards Against Humanity expansion I kind of want to get.
  • A comic about Catwoman.

No comments:

Post a Comment