Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday: For not doing anything today, this post is going to be rather full

1. Waking up early.

Generally, I hate waking up early.  However, my phone randomly decided it was in "make noise for email" mode, so I was able to wake up and look at it.  The email? "I am happy to let you know that your above paper, is now accepted for publication".  Finally.  The only thing left to do is to get it up on astro-ph.  I don't think it'll happen before Wednesday, as I'm probably going to miss the cut off for first post tomorrow (since I need to figure out both my astro-ph login information as well as when the cut off time is in HST).

2. Sushi.

Genki at Ala Moana had a big renovation, so I decided to stop by and see what that meant.  Here's the series of photos from that.

It's unreasonably busy, so you have to get a reservation number.

You also get a fan.  Because...you have to wait outside in the heat, I guess?
This was issue number one.  They've redesigned the inside, but seem to have fewer seats than before.  They've also set up the counter with groups of two in mind.  This means each touch pad (see later) serves two seats, so they're somewhat shitty about seating one.  Note I was number 85.  When they called number 90, I asked what was going on, and was told that I couldn't sit at a table, so I had to wait for the counter, which I'm pretty sure was bullshit, as they sat other groups at the counter during that time.  So, that was strike one.

Unagi and a tempura roll.
 Strike two: That unagi is on a $3.95 grey plate.  That's a dollar more than the $2.95 it is on the red plates at Kurukuru.  Secondly, this was kind of crappy unagi.
Garlic salmon.  Nope.  This was a mistake.

The whole point of the renovation: the express lanes.  I waited for the belt to go around a few times so I could make sure I was ordering something that wasn't found there.  Here's the tamago.  You can order up to four things at once, for obvious reasons.

A shot down the track.  You can see the two express tracks (next to the town scenes), and the array of touch panels.

Ebi fry.  This came on track two, with the "racecar" train. 

But although it was hot, the panko was really uneven.
Strike three: the ahi on the belt looked terrible.  Pale, uneven slices, didn't have any.

So everything is basically a dollar more than at Kurukuru, there's a lot of unnecessary technology, the line is too long, there are twice as many workers as are really necessary, and overall it doesn't taste as good.

I guess that solves the question of which sushi place deserves my money.

3. Tl;dr Lovecraft.

  • Title:  Pickman's Model
  • Date:  1926
  • Summary:  Pickman is an artist that makes paintings of ghouls in Boston.  Read the title again, and now guess the twist ending.
  • Last line in italics?  Yes.
  • Writer writes instead of fleeing?  No.
  • Name checks a friend? Clark Aston Smith.
  • Rating:  8/10.  Sure, you can see the ending coming from like paragraph 4, but it's still enjoyable.  This has a lot of over-detailed descriptions of things, but that really adds to the horror he's trying to describe in the paintings.
  • Read it:  Here.
  • Wikipedia 

4. Flossie.

It looks like it will actually be a tropical storm when it hits.  Here are pictures:

So maybe I'll leave work a bit early tomorrow.

The news had a comment today that Hawaii isn't usually hit by hurricanes or tropical storms.  This picture shows the reason.
That reason is the following complicated series of facts.

  • West coasts of continents always have cold currents.  Due to the Coriolis effect, in the northern hemisphere, currents are clockwise, and counterclockwise in the southern.
  • Hurricanes in the eastern Pacific form in the hot water off the coast of Mexico.
  • In order to get to Hawaii, those hurricanes have to cross the cool water cycling off the coast of California.
  • Cool water saps the power from the hurricane, so Hawaii usually just gets the remnants.


5. Links.




No comments:

Post a Comment