Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wednesday: That just didn't work

My plan for today was to go to Nico's, eat dinner, and then get smoked fish from their shop.  However, the shop closes at 6, and dinner at Nico's is way different than Saturday lunch.  I was expecting the regular counter service/buzzy beeper to tell you when to get your food.  Dinner is a proper wait-your-turn, sit-down, take-your-order affair.  I wasn't going to wait, so I opted to sit at the bar.

I've never done this, and it was like entering a whole new world.  Instead of only seeing the waitstaff occasionally, you get to see the bartenders perpetually working.  Fill drink orders for people at the bar; fill drink orders for other tables; collect used glasses deposited on the bar, rinse them, stick them in the super fast dishwasher; take orders from people sitting at the bar; fill walk up drink orders; answer questions from random people about billing issues.  It's far more work than I thought.  One more thing for the list: suggest that the pasta special is really good.

Spoiler alert: it was.  Scallops and shrimp linguine with mushroom/spinach cream sauce.
Another benefit of being there at night was that I was able to take a different panorama of the shipping terminals on Sand Island.
I love infrastructure.

No comments:

Post a Comment