Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday: Adventures!

Part 1: Honolulu Academy of Arts Museum of Art

It's been about a year or so since I last went to the art museum, during which time, they've changed their name.  I assume they did so to prevent people from being confused that they weren't a museum or something.

Today was Family Sunday, which meant that the museum was free to the public.  I didn't know this was going to be the case, and was somewhat confused when I went to the info counter (where you usually pay).  I would have preferred to just pay the regular admission, but that is apparently not possible.  Plus, I had no cash to put in the donation thing.  I feel bad being cultured for free, so I bought as much stuff at the gift shop as I thought I would like.  The good part of that is I now have a book on Hokusai, so yay for ukiyo-e.

Here are the highlights:
What is up with the leg on the Magi on the left?  That can't be attached to that torso.

"And Abel said unto Cain, 'Seriously, Dude? Not only are you killing me, but you're using the jawbone of something else you already killed?  You're totally getting cursed. Probably marked, too.'"

Did you know that Rome was founded on this day 2766 years ago?

Whoa.
This is the greatest tiger in the history of the world. I love this tiger.

Chinese moon viewing chair.  I kind of want one.

You know those stones from Indiana Jones? They're not entirely fictional.  Odd bit of synchronicity for the day: the reference book on mythology I've been browsing for the past week notified me of their existence today while I was bouncing through Hindu myths.
Part 2: Auntie Pasto's

This is another on the list of "places I've been too before, but not at all recently."  Italian food is still one of the hardest things to get here in Hawaii.  This isn't the best place I've been to, but it's located reasonably close to the museum that I figured it was a good after-art option.

I'm not going to say that this is a red sauce restaurant, but they do have the red and white check down:
Tasty hot bread.  The oil had a lot of good fresh herbs in it. 
 Appetizer:
Stuffed mushrooms.  Drowning a bit in the cheese sauce, but the strong garlic flavor punches through nicely.  I'm not totally sure if the stuffing is just the roasted garlic, or what, because that was all I could find.
 Entree:
Cheese ravioli in meat sauce.  Yes, I mostly just wanted something classically "red sauce"-y.  The sauce is good, although a bit too heavy on the fennel.  I suspect that means the meat is an Italian sausage.  

Not bad, although they only have street parking, which is annoying.  I was surprised that they're expanding to the mainland.  I would have thought that there would be enough options there already.

Part 3: Links


  • Yes. Everyone has the right to not talk to the cops.
  • I caught this movie on TCM today.  It seems to be part of a series of short mysteries by SS van Dine, but they're not available anywhere on DVD.
  • No.  We have a justice system.  We do not need to create a separate one that guarantees results that some people want.
  • What? That's just...what? And then he stole a bottle of wine?
Part 4: No, seriously, that tiger is great.


No comments:

Post a Comment