Saturday, February 11, 2012

Saturday: Errands

Well, not so much errands as "random go shopping around for food stuff."  That doesn't work quite as well.

First stop, the doughnuttery, to get some doughnuts for this week, because I kind of felt like having some.  Unfortunately, they were largely sold out by the time I got there.  I did grab some "heart shaped" doughnuts, so I can eat them in a totally non-valentine-y way.

Next, I went to Nico's for lunch:
Yes, I did go there twice while my parents were visiting (despite the fact that they don't even really like fish).  I think it's even busier now after the expansion then it ever was before.  I ended up having to eat over by the old place, as all the tables inside were full.
I got the furikake ahi, which I was able to get super rare, like I wanted it last time.  It's much better rare.

Next, I went to Nico's fish market to get some fish to eat this week.  Secret fish.  To be revealed as needed.  I will say that they were very friendly with samples, all of which were delicious.

Then, a trip home to drop off the perishable fish (and doughnuts), then back out to get regular groceries.

I made a lazy dinner:
Ahi limu poke, with a salad and some toasted baguette.  Yes, I know poke usually is served with rice, but I didn't want to bother with rice today.  The tomatoes are really not that great right now, which is a shame since I bought four.

  1. It's a health care thing.  I don't call random strangers to get medical advice, I usually consult a proper doctor.  If they don't want to provide health care, then they're unlikely to get anyone to want to work for them.  Beyond that, it's none of their damn business what doctors advise.
  2. It's a labor relations thing.  Your boss doesn't have the right to dictate what you do outside of work. "But they have to pay for it." Well, other than the fact that today's little fit shows that it's not actually about them having to pay for it, that's still not a valid point.  Does your boss have the right to dictate what you can buy with your paycheck?  They've paid for that too.  There's a reason we don't have company stores anymore.  
  3. It's not a religious freedom thing.  Remember this?  Remember how outraged everyone was that the supposed anti-bullying law was going to allow an exemption for "a sincerely held religious belief"?  No one believed that that was a valid place to call for "religious freedom." How is this different? 
  4. It's the "we don't live in the middle ages" thing.  The church doesn't run the world anymore.  We've come to the conclusion that organizing non-religious governments is generally better for everyone, as the power of the government is derived (however indirectly) from the will of the people, and not the declarations of some self-proclaimed ruler.

No comments:

Post a Comment