Saturday, September 3, 2011

Saturday: Roadtrip!

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to take pictures while driving. Therefore, today's post is told via Crayon Theater.  My plan was to drive to a place way up in Kahuku, after reading someone else's blog post about them having pastrami. According to google maps, this is a shorter distance than my last pastrami run road trip, but the times are about the same (assuming Hawaii traffic is magically vaporized and it doesn't take twice as long as google claims it will).

After getting to Kamehameha on the other side of the islands, I had a reasonably relaxing drive.  I saw this cow:
who was happily munching on the side of the road, screwing up traffic in the other direction.  A little further down the road:
Chicken!  Usually they run in packs, but this was a loner it seemed.
Horses! "Is that one horse smiling at me?" you may be asking. Yes. Yes he is.

Eventually I reached Kahuku.  Unfortunately, I found this:
Crap. Take out windows boarded up and closed sign tacked up.  I probably should have expected that midafternoon on the saturday of a three day weekend would be likely to be a day off in a small town.  Ok, I figured I'd just keep going.  When I was coming back on H-2, I saw this:
"Ok, now you're just fucking with me. Boss Hogg style horns on the front of a car?"

I am totally honest.

"Is that a fucking Pontiac emblem there?"

Yes it is.

"You have got to be shitting me."

Nope. And the smiles I've drawn can't even possibly show how cool this dumbass thought he was.

I got back to town, and stopped off at Burgers on the Edge, and got the usual:
It may not be completely clear from this picture, but there are two obvious flaws with the burger today:

  1. Way too much sauce. It's delicious, it ties things together, it takes two napkins, a wetnap, and finally washing your hands up to the elbow to finally feel like you're clean again.
  2. The spiral of apple slices is a great aesthetic touch, but it neglects a major flaw. Since that peak ends up in the same place as the slice of foie gras, any pressure is going to try to force the apples radially out from the center of the burger.  Since the whole apparatus is thoroughly lubed with sauce, each bite was kind of an adventure in trying to keep everything from blowing up in my face.
Finally, coming home, I saw this lady:
It's impossible to accurately describe her clothing via stick figure, but suffice it to say that she was wearing some sort of lime green spandex tube-top unitard thing that came down to her knees.  Also, bright red platform heels.

...

No further comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment