Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day: Eyes >>> Tummy


My first step today to get ready for Labor Day dinner was to half-caramelize two onions so I could have some to put on today's sausages.  I also soaked my corn in water for thirty minutes after removing the silk so that I could roast it in the oven.  I eventually stripped off the husk, and left it under the broiler while I cooked the sausages.

So, the menu was:

  • Roasted corn. Nicely sweet, to the point where I didn't really need any butter or salt to make it tasty (I had some anyway. Just to be sure).
  • Regular chips. I was going to make nachos and have salsa, but I was tired, and didn't want to bother with it.
  • Buffalo dog hot dog.  Not buffalo spicy, buffalo the animal. It's here where things started to show a problem. This hot dog is almost certainly twice as big as any regular hot dog. I probably should have noticed this and scaled things back, but I didn't.  That meant when it was time to eat the
  • WF meat case bratwurst, I was already pretty much entirely full (hence the title).  This was better than I was expecting.  Nice light spice, and a good greasy moistness.  This was also larger than most brats I've bought before, and was straight, preventing the "curved brats don't fit into straight buns" problem that I've had in the past.
  • Loganberry drink, using the bottle of syrup shown in the picture.  Not quite the memory I was looking for, but it worked well enough.
I think I'm going to have to rework the menu for the rest of the week, since these sausages are twice as large as I was expecting.  I think that means that I freeze some of sausages, and have them at some point in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment