Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wednesday: Spending three wasted minutes plating,

only to discover afterwards that your phone has decided that the camera button means "take a picture if you feel like it, but if not, that's cool too."

Tomorrow will be the same thing, but in leftover form, so it'll be easier to get it made.  The construction of today's BLT (it's BLT day, BTW) was:

  • Top toast
  • Quick smear of mustard.
  • Three slices of heirloom watermelon tomato. This was the juiciest tomato ever in the history of tomatoes.  it was leaking all over the place for the entire meal.  I'm hoping the other half dries out by tomorrow's sandwich, otherwise I'll have to come up with a way to dry it out.  I don't really want to salt and drain it, as I want to avoid adding lots of salt.  I'm thinking about putting the slices on a rack, and quickly baking them for a few minutes.
  • Three leaves local lettuce.  This, on the other hand, was perfectly dried, after being sent around the salad spinner for about five minutes.
  • Three strips of delicious bacon. I pan fried, but I should have just baked it, as that would have been easier to deal with.  WF seems to slicing the bacon extra thick these days, and this batch was a bit extra fatty, so that might have caused some problems since I don't have a baking sheet with a lip.
  • Slice of cheese.
  • Bottom toast
Super tasty, but I should have had everything but the bacon ready to go, so I could have a good temperature gradient across the sandwich.  As it was, everything reached a moderate "cool" temperature. Still tasty.

Also: box mac&cheese, because I wanted an easy side that would put a smile in my tummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment