Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday: simmering

I figured that since it's fall now, I should make something "fall-y" for dinner.
Yes, ok, I understand that

Yes, I can tell that it's still like a zillion degrees, but it's like that all the time.  Just because it doesn't actually feel like fall doesn't mean I can't pretend it's fall.
Fine. Thanks I guess (even though that's winter, and it's currently fall).

Anyway, I figured I'd make something warm and hearty that I could eat this week without having to bother coming up with a plan.  It seems like I make stews fairly often, but I went with a slightly different strategy this time.  The ingredients:

Back row:

  • 1.5 lb red potatoes
  • 0.5 lb regular mushrooms
  • 0.5 lb portabella mushrooms
  • bottle of merlot
  • can of beef broth
  • can of tomato paste
Front row:
  • A leek
  • 0.25 lb carrots
  • 1.5 lb chuck roast
  • 0.5 lb ground beef
  • 0.5 lb onion
  • 0.5 lb paciento placenta pancetta
  • 0.5 lb haricot vert
  • 1oz dried porcini mushrooms
Not shown:
  • like 6 cloves garlic
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 tbs sage and rosemary
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • anchovy filets
I didn't take intermediate pictures, but the sequence was
  1. Brown the roast and then reserve.
  2. Add chopped pancetta until it renders a bit, add anchovy, garlic, onion and ground beef.
  3. Reconstitute porcinis in the broth.  Once it's simmered and the mushrooms are hydrated, add worchestershire sauce and tomato paste.
  4. Accidentally the whole bottle of wine.
  5. Bring to simmer, and add porcini sauce.  Season with about half of the spices.
  6. Let simmer for an hour or so, then add diced potatoes.
  7. Let simmer another hour, add chopped carrots and leek.
  8. Blah blah another hour, add chopped mushrooms.
  9. About a half hour before finishing, add haricot vert so they keep some texture.  Correct spices and salt.


This was the end result, with the side of some crusty multigrain bread for soaking, and some super delicious cheddar they had for tasting today.  The cheese has a nice mild flavor, with a sweet and salty rind.  The bread wasn't so great, as it's a bit bland (they should have used some honey or molasses or something to perk it up), but after soaking in the broth it works ok.  The stew really turned out a lot more like a soup, as it's not very thick.  I guess it's really just a beef and vegetable soup, but that's ok.  It would make an excellent dinner on some cold snowy evening.  Since that's not really an option, it's good that it also is delicious on a warm tropical evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment